Start-up Funding and Net Zero Support Programme for Social Enterprises in Wales Invites Applications
The second round of a national funding programme is open for Expressions of Interest.
Funding is available to start-up social enterprises in Wales to support them in getting their business off the ground, while at the same time embedding climate friendly practices.
The second round of the Net Zero Carbon Start-up Grant for Social Enterprises pilot is accepting applications from up-and-coming social businesses or trading voluntary organisations. To be eligible organisations must:
- Be Wales based, delivering benefits for Welsh communities.
- Be incorporated, with a sound business plan but as yet unproven revenue streams. Unincorporated organisations can apply but will need to become incorporated before any funds are released.
- Be ambitious for growth to create employment and achieve social impact.
- Be committed to achieving net zero carbon status for the business.
Organisations do not need to be an environmental or climate change focused group to apply.
Organisations in this pilot programme will also receive support from a climate change consultant to embed climate friendly operating practices within the business from the outset. This includes:
- Assessing the existing business plan to estimate the likely carbon emissions of operating ‘as normal’.
- Re-designing key operating practices to reduce likely emissions.
- Support and guidance to implement the revised practices.
- Designing and supporting the use of relevant carbon footprint measurement for the business to adopt for the future.
The pilot fund has a total value of £150,000 and will support 12 social enterprises over two funding rounds. Round 1 was completed in March 2022 with five successful organisations being awarded funding.
In Round 2, grants of up to £12,500 are available.
The deadline for Expressions of Interest is 11.59pm on 21 September 2022, and the deadline for full applications is 11.59pm on 2 October 2022.
(This report was the subject of a GRANTfinder Newsflash.)