Rewilding Challenge Fund Reopens for Applications 2023
Collaborations of landowners, sea users, organisations, communities, and businesses can apply for funding to deliver a single large-scale rewilding project that brings lasting social, economic and ecological benefits for local communities.
Rewilding Britain is offering an annual award of £100,000 for one large-scale rewilding project, at least 1,000ha/10 km² in size, based in England, Scotland, or Wales, that will bring social, economic, and ecological benefits for local communities.
The Rewilding Challenge Fund aims to encourage collaborative approaches to rewilding which:
- Work at nature’s scale by establishing large and ecologically connected rewilding initiatives across land and/or sea.
- Let nature lead by creating areas where natural processes are given freedom to generate dynamic and complex mosaics of habitats and species which enhance resilience to the impacts of climate change.
- Create resilient local economies by providing opportunities for new, nature-based enterprises that in turn support thriving communities.
- Support people and nature together by bringing community voices to the fore in shaping rewilding initiatives, providing social and well-being benefits and celebrating local culture.
- Secure benefits for the longer term by accelerating innovative projects that can act as a blueprint to inspire others and build a knowledge base of how to achieve large-scale rewilding.
Priority will be given to projects that restore and reinstate natural processes, habitats, and missing species to the maximum extent across land, sea, or both. There is particular interest in community-led/co-designed approaches to rewilding which bring lasting social, economic, and ecological benefits for local communities.
There is a two-stage application process. Lead organisations should first submit an online expression of interest before being invited to submit a full application.
The deadline to submit an expression of interest is 12 October 2023.
(This report was the subject of a GRANTfinder Newsflash.)