IUK Launches Sustainable Smart Factory Competition
UK registered businesses, collaborating with partner organisations, can apply for a share of up to £20 million for research and development projects for innovations in digital technologies to reduce environmental impact within manufacturing processes.
Through the Made Smarter Innovation programme, Innovate UK (IUK) is investing £147 million to accelerate the development of game changing digital manufacturing ideas.
The aims of the Sustainable Smart Factory competition are to deliver a resilient, flexible, more productive, and environmentally sustainable UK manufacturing sector, as well as to develop new technologies that can be exploited commercially across manufacturing worldwide. The competition is split into two strands:
- Strand 1 – Digital innovation with manufacturing data.
- Strand 2 – Digital innovation in manufacturing processes.
To lead a project or work alone the organisation must be a UK registered business of any size, collaborating with other UK registered organisations and involving at least one SME. Consortiums must:
- Involve a single factory or multiple factories.
- Include both manufacturing and digital technology capabilities.
- Be applicable to at least one manufacturing sector.
Grant funding of up to £20 million is available to fund innovation projects in this competition.
A project’s total eligible costs must be between £1 million and £8 million.
- For Strand 1, the total grant funding for the project must not exceed 50% of the total eligible project costs.
- For Strand 2, the total grant funding for the project must not exceed 40% of the total eligible project costs.
Businesses could get funding for their eligible project costs of:
- Up to 70% if they are a UK registered micro or small organisation.
- Up to 60% if they are a UK registered medium-sized organisation.
- Up to 50% if they are a UK registered large organisation.
Projects must start by 1 September 2022 and last between 12 and 24 months.
The deadline for applications is 26 January 2022 (11:00 GMT).
(This report was the subject of a GRANTfinder Newsflash.)