Coastal Capacity Building Fund for Communities in Wales Opens for Applications
A funding programme to support local projects working to address the climate emergency in coastal areas of Wales is inviting applications.
Funding is available to community organisations in Welsh coastal areas to support their capacity to undertake local nature recovery and sustainability work.
Welsh Government’s Coastal Capacity Building Fund, administered by Wales Council for Voluntary Action (WCVA), is designed to encourage collaboration between stakeholders, such as communities, businesses, local authorities and other public bodies.
Grants may be used to support projects that encompass:
- Developing skills, knowledge, and partnerships to engage with marine and coastal issues.
- Conducting scoping exercises to reduce carbon emissions in the marine/coastal environment.
- Enhancing public understanding of local ecosystems and responsible management.
- Implementing recycling initiatives.
- Researching local environments and climate change impacts.
- Improving local seafood supply chains’ sustainability.
- Promoting sustainable recreation and tourism.
- Enhancing water quality awareness.
- Creating environmentally friendly food packaging.
Projects should primarily focus on nature recovery and enhancement, as well as sustainable growth and diversification in Welsh coastal communities. They should also aid Welsh coastal communities in accessing the grant fund and other appropriate funding by providing advice, assistance, and fostering a network of key stakeholders for sharing marine and coastal information.
The programme has an annual budget of £500,000 available for projects of five months or more, with a minimum value of £20,000. All projects must be complete by 31 March 2025.
To make an application, organisations are required to contact the Local Nature Partnership for their area. Further information is also available from WCVA.
The deadline for applications is 22 September 2023.
(This report was the subject of a GRANTfinder Newsflash.)