Bags of Help is Tesco’s local community awards programme where the money raised from the 5p bag levy in Tesco stores is used to fund community projects across the UK.
A public vote determines which groups will receive a grant. In 2020, projects that receive the most vote will receive a grant of £2,000; second place will receive a grant of up to £1,000 and third place a grant of up to £500.
The funding can support a wide range of projects including but not limited to:
- Purchasing items which will benefit local community groups such as sports kit, specialised medical equipment, art and crafts materials, spades, litter pickers, camping equipment.
- Improvements to a building that benefits the local community such as a Scout or Guide hut, church or village hall, changing facilities for sports.
- Developing an outdoor space play area, allotment, park, school grounds, woodland or wildlife area.
- Running a community event or activity such as fun runs, village fete, clean-up day, tree planting, bird watch.
- Supporting seasonal activities such as purchasing new Christmas lights, supporting a Christmas meal for the homeless or a Diwali celebration event for the community etc.
Projects can be a stand-along project or a discrete, self-contained part of a larger scheme or part of a phased project.
As this is a rolling programme, voting for projects will be happening continuously in Tesco stores. In 2020, three projects from each local area will be shortlisted to go to the public vote every three months.
There are no deadlines. Applications can be made at any time.
More information about this funding opportunity and the application process is available on the GRANTfinder funding information platform. GRANTfinder provides up-to-the minute content, insight and analysis on funding news and policy. To find out more about how GRANTfinder can keep you in the know, and subscription fees, contact us today.