Comic Relief launched the new Ahead of the Game, Sport and Mental Health funding call to support projects that work with the most marginalised people, in the most disadvantaged communities in the UK, Ghana, Uganda, and Rwanda.
The funding has two aims:
- To support new or existing work that combines sports based approaches with quality mental health support to reduce distress and/or improve mental wellbeing.
- To contribute to the growing body of evidence by learning from projects about what approaches are effective for whom, in what contexts.
The fund will support work:
- In the UK the focus is on supporting organisations to use sports-based approaches to support people who are already experiencing mental health problems, whether these are self-determined or diagnosed.
- In Ghana, Uganda and Rwanda, the funding will support the following:
- Organisations to deliver sports based approaches in communities where they can demonstrate people are at high risk of developing mental health problems.
- Organisations to deliver sports based approaches who are working with those already experiencing mental health problems.
The proposed project must use sport as a tool for social change. Comic Relief’s Sport for Change strategy aims to bring about positive social change for individuals and communities through the intentional use of sport and physical activity.
Grants of between £150,000 and £450,000 are available for a minimum of three years and a maximum of five years.
The requested amount must be proportionate to the annual income of the organisation, and this will be looked at as part of the assessment process. Comic Relief aim to fund no more than 40% of the applicant organisation's total income in any one year.
Capital costs must make up less than 25% of the funding amount being requested.
Comic Relief will cover the full cost of delivering a service or project.
There is a two-stage application process.
The deadline for first-stage applications is 31 May 2019 (12 noon).
More information about this funding opportunity and the application process is available on the GRANTfinder funding information platform. GRANTfinder provides up-to-the minute content, insight and analysis on funding news and policy. To find out more about how GRANTfinder can keep you in the know, and subscription fees, contact us today.